Board index » Garage

Post subject: Left trans main shaft failure
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:42 am 
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Cash on hand:

My Bikes: 05 Ridgeback / 08 Mastiff / 09 Deluxe
Good evening all,
Well where to begin? My day started out pretty good yesterday and it was a great day for riding the scoot to work. About a block from work, I noticed an unusual vibration coming on, kind of like if I had lost some transmission bolts or something. I got an inspection mirror and flash light from the tool room at work and did a quick inspection. All the bolts were there and they looked tight and I couldn’t really see any separation from the bottom of the mount. So, I went back to work figuring I’ll have a good look when I get back home. Damn if I come out after work to go home and a massive puddle of trans fluid is all over the ground. :scr: I went back in to the hanger to get an Allen wrench so I could check the trans fluid level and it was ok, still between the marks. I know I put in 20oz on the last change so there was probably a little more than that in there since you can't get it all out. So I'm thinking maybe it's a mixture of overflow out the vent but the vent tube is bone dry. I found a drip hanging on the left lower frame. First thing that comes to mind is my main shaft seal is leaking again. Damn why now? I replaced it when I put on the belt drive, it shouldn't be leaking... :CONF:

I get on the cell and call the wifey and tell her to be on call if I get stuck on the side of the road coming home. Get the truck ready if I need to be bailed out... :BigLaugh: I limp the scoot home and get it on the lift right away and notice that trans fluid is everywhere on the left side all over the rear rim and swing arm. I now know for sure it's got to be my main shaft seal now because I can see fluid coming from under my aft pulley. I get the pulley support off and figure I'll check and see if there's any play on the main shaft and low and behold there up and down play but no fore and aft play. Just looking at it, I'd say there's about .050 - .060 play up and down. :Doh:

I question the shimming of this trans because I have a stack up of 0.050 on the forward right corner and 0.010 forward center and 0.030 on the rear right corner. It just seems kind of whacked to me. So, I'm going to re-shim it correctly when I get the trans back from Bobby Schulz... :2tu:

I'm starting to think about the ridgeback now. I know the 2005 models had bad main shafts and several folks had them break before. I might get proactive and tare it down and have the new bearings and shafts installed. I've included some pics for your viewing pleasure… :BigLaugh:

Belt drive removed

Shocks dropped to gain access to the trans bolts

Shot of the shims after trans removal

I wrote down the shim thickness and position on a note pad just in case, but i don't think I'll be needing it. I really don't think this thing was shimmed correctly.

The unhappy trans

While I have the shocks lowered, I'm going to drop the rear end down a little so the scoot rides level. I don't like how it rides high in back... :BigLaugh: :2tu:

Post subject: Re: Left trans main shaft failure
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 am 
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Cash on hand:

My Bikes: Big dog K9 2009 ( purchased in April 2012)
HD Fat boy Custom
Shoot ! thats cool doing it yourself ! im so useless i have to get the handbook out to check how to take the gas cap off to fill up !

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:48 am 
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Cash on hand:

My Bikes: '06 K9
Text Field: The BEST physical example of foreplay, is a beautiful woman "SLOWLY SIPPING" her drink through a "straw"! .....
: )D
This doesn't sound GOOD! :Doh:

But I wish you the BEST OF LUCK with it! :2tu:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 am 
Moderator / Supporting Member
Moderator / Supporting Member

Cash on hand: Locked
My Bikes: 2006 Big Dog K-9
Text Field: When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE! When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED!! And when the right woman catches you with the wrong woman, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!!!

Stock bikes are like Tampons....every Pussy needs one!

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"
Well, man, that just sucks! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Brew! I hope you get her up and running again real soon! I sure wish I could work on these things like some of you can!
:CONF:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Cash on hand:

My Bikes: 05 Ridgeback / 08 Mastiff / 09 Deluxe
Thanks guys! If it aint done right somethings gotta give. I'm just suspect of the shim job done on this thing. Makes no ryme or reason to me, I'm just going to take my time and do it right and hope for the best. These things arent very hard to work on, you just need to have the right tools... :BigLaugh: My heat gun gave up the ghost yesterday and my wifey seen it flying out of the garage and asked why are you throwing your tools out like that. :LMAO: I just tell her it's a piece of shit, It's broke... :FM: Then all hell breaks loose, she starts rating and raving if you had good quality tools and wasn't a tight wad then maybe you could get things done... :LMAO: I tell her to shut the fuk up and go get me your hair dryer :WN: I know she thinking :wtf: by this time, but it's always great having a wifey that supports your good/bad habbits :2tu: I'll get this scoot back up and running in no time. It's always good to have a back-up to the back-up for the pudy riding days that we've been having... :BigLaugh: :2tu:

Board index » Garage